ASF Releases 2012 Elections Guide
September 26, 2012
On September 26, ASF released a “Guide to Political and Policy Implications of the 2012 Federal Elections” (the “ASF Elections Guide”), which provides an overview of the legislative and regulatory implications of the upcoming federal elections. The ASF Elections Guide describes how the election outcomes will impact the short- and long-term priorities and outcomes of financial services regulation, ultimately determining the broader conditions under which the securitization industry will operate going forward. ASF produced this Guide to serve as an overview of the current political and policy environment as well as the players, issues, legislation, regulators and rulemakings that securitization market participants should monitor before and after the elections.
Some of the key issues discussed in the Guide are:
- What will be the focus of a second Obama/Biden Administration or a Romney/Ryan Administration during the first 100 days of their term?
- How will the election outcomes impact the resolution of the impending Fiscal Cliff?
- What effect will the election outcomes have on the release of a detailed federal housing plan?
- Who will serve as the Chair and Ranking Member of the Congressional Committees that govern our nation’s financial services sector?
- What are the likely priorities of the Senate Banking Committee and the House Financial Services Committee?
- What leadership and directional changes could occur at the various financial regulatory agencies based on returns of the Congressional and Presidential elections?
ASF Guide to Political and Policy Implications of the 2012 Federal Elections - September 26, 2012